Monday, May 17, 2010

What's up with Kayla

Kayla has been a pretty busy girl these last few weeks. First, her class has been learning about life cycles. They learned all about eggs and they even hatched some. They started out with 12 eggs, but only 4 ended up hatching.
To finish up their study of eggs they had an egg drop. The assignment was to create a container that could keep an egg from breaking when dropped off of the school roof. It could be made of any material, but it could only be 7" X 7". I think Joe had more fun with this assignment than Kayla did. After drawing up and trying to create a few different elaborate devises, Joe and Kayla decided to just try popcorn. They put the egg inside of a small plastic bag and then put the small plastic bag inside of a large one filled with popcorn. Then they took some plastic wrap and wrapped it around the large one so that it was ball shaped. Then Kayla decorated it.

Kayla decorating her giant popcorn ball.

Mrs. McMillan dropping all of the containers off of the roof.

After Kayla's landed.

And........

IT WORKED!!!!!!

These are the kids who had success. I should say that 3 of them have Dad's who are engineers of some sort. I thought that was pretty funny.
Someone tried to use Jello. Obviously it didn't work.

Kayla and her good friend Isaac. They are in different classes at school, but they are in primary together. We have play dates with them at least 2 times a month. Kayla is sure going to miss getting to see him all the time.

The chicks that they hatched. They were about a week and 1/2 old by this point. Once they got too big for the box they went to live at the farm.
The kindergarten classes all went to the farm to see all the different animals that they had learned about during their life cycle unit. They also got to plant pumpkin seeds to bring home. Kayla is excited to put the plant into our new garden at our house.

And finally.....

So, I've always been pretty strict about keeping the scissors out of the kids reach and only letting them use them when I am supervising. I had the goal as a mother to never let my kids have the oppurtunity to give themselves a hair cut. Well, the other day I was getting ready to excercise and Kayla asked if she could use the scissors for a project she was working on. I figured she is almost 6 and she would be okay using them while I excercised. Guess what! I was wrong. When I came back down stairs to help Kayla get ready for school I saw that she had decided to cut herself some bangs. She said she wanted short hair like her friend Paola. And she got it because I had to take her to get her hair fixed.
I'll have a bunch more to post in the next few weeks. We are going to be busy busy. Kayla has a lot more things going on before the end of school. Plus she will be turning 6 next week! We are also closing on our house this Friday! And yes, I should be working right now and not blogging. I better get back to work! :-)

1 comment:

kwilliams said...

Jaylee say's she sorta likes Kayla's haircut. She said it makes her look older.